California Preschool Curriculum Framework, Volume 2
(California Department of Education, 2008)
Like Volume 1, the California Preschool Curriculum Framework, Volume 2 provides an overall approach for teachers to support children’s learning through environments and experiences that are:
- developmentally appropriate;
- reflective of thoughtful observation and intentional planning;
- individually and culturally meaningful;
- inclusive of children with disabilities or other special needs.
The framework presents ways of setting up environments, encouraging and building upon children’s self-initiated play, selecting appropriate materials, integrating learning experiences across domains, and planning and implementing teacher-guided learning activities.
The focus of the California Preschool Curriculum Framework, Volume 2 is the domains of:
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Physical Development
What children learn in the visual and performing arts, physical development, and health domains during the preschool years is presented in the California Preschool Learning Foundations, Volume 2. As preschool teachers plan learning environments and experiences, the foundations provide the background information to:
- understand children’s developing knowledge and skills;
- consider appropriate ways to support children’s learning and development.
Download a copy of the California Preschool Curriculum Framework, Volume 2 here. To order the publication, visit the Educational Resource Catalog on the CDE Web site and request Item Number 001716.