California Preschool Program Guidelines
(California Department of Education, 2015)
The California Preschool Program Guidelines publication is divided into three main parts:
Part One—Setting the Stage for Program Quality
Chapter 1: Current Issues in Early Childhood Education
Chapter 2: The Preschool Child
Chapter 3: The Role of the Preschool Teacher
Chapter 4: The Role of the Administrator
Part Two—Supporting Young Children’s Learning and Development
Chapter 5: Use of the California Preschool Curriculum Framework
Chapter 6: Support for Young Dual Language Learners
Chapter 7: Using Technology and Interactive Media with Preschool-Age Children
Part Three—Program Guidelines
Chapter 8: Guidelines for Operating Preschool Programs
- Guideline 1: Aspiring to Be a High-Quality Program
- Guideline 2: Addressing, Culture, Diversity, and Equity
- Guideline 3: Supporting Relationships, Interactions, and Guidance
- Guideline 4: Engaging Families and Communities
- Guideline 5: Including Children with Disabilities or Other Special Needs
- Guideline 6: Promoting Health, Safety, and Nutrition
- Guideline 7: Assessing Children’s Development and Learning
- Guideline 8: Planning the Learning Environment and Curriculum
- Guideline 9: Supporting Professionalism and Continuous Learning
- Guideline 10: Administering Programs and Supervising Staff
Current issues in early childhood education are described, as well as the characteristics of the preschool child, the role of the preschool teacher, and the role of the administrator. The guidelines offer a developmental perspective on children’s growth and learning within the prekindergarten classroom setting. The program guidelines represent best practices based on current scientific evidence in early childhood education and are recommended by the California Department of Education for all preschool programs.
The document complements and can be used in conjunction with other California Department of Education resources, including the California Preschool Learning Foundations and the California Preschool Curriculum Framework.
A companion DVD set also is available, which enhances knowledge and understanding by highlighting key practices from the California Preschool Program Guidelines.
Download the California Preschool Program Guidelines (PDF) on the California Department of Education Web page of Early Education and Support Division Resources. Copies of this publication and the associated DVD set are available for purchase from the California Department of Education. For prices and ordering information, please visit the Educational Resource Catalog on the CDE Web site or call the CDE Press sales office at 1-800-995-4099.